Natural childbirth is a method of delivering babies with minimal surgical intervention, and is more widely being opted for by women across the globe. More women are electing to have a midwife guide them through the process of delivery at home or at a birthing center.
Giving birth to a child by the natural method has some advantages over other methods
- It is a faster method
- There is no risk of damage to the baby's brain due to any medications or surgical instruments used in other methods
- The baby arrives in a much more alert state, as no drugs are used
- It psychologically empowers the mother
- The midwife arranges the mother in the most comfortable position possible
- Various methods may be used for natural childbirth, with water birth being opted for more frequently. It consists of a tub filled with water that is heated to 900 F- 1010 F.
- Only trained midwives should be asked to carry out the process of delivery, if not a doctor
- The room where the mother is to give birth has to be kept hygienic and clean at all times
- Always be ready to call a doctor in case of any complications
- The preheated water relaxes the mother's back and pelvic muscles, and also adds buoyancy to the baby, which helps the baby to come down more easily
- Once the baby arrives, the mother is asked to cut the umbilical cord hers
- The midwives usually avoid using drugs, as there is a risk of affecting the baby
- To alleviate labor pains, however, epidurals may be used
- Natural childbirth is quite safe for normal, uncomplicated pregnancies, and it matters very little whether the birth is given at home or at the hospital.
- The mother is asked to breastfeed the baby within an hour of birth
- Proper care of health and hygiene should be taken in the room where the mother and baby are kept