Copper T[/caption] Copper T is an Intra Uterine Device inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. It is a plastic T with a copper wire wrapped around the stem. It also has a string at its base which sticks out of the vagina, so it becomes easy to check if it is in place
Advantages of Copper T :
- Copper T is an effective contraceptive, and can stay in place for as long as ten years
- So the main advantage is durability.
- High Success rate in the prevention of pregnancy
- It is known to decrease the pain and bleeding of menses
How Works Copper T
- The IUD prevents fertilization of the egg by killing the sperm that enters the uterus
- Copper is toxic to sperm, and makes the uterus and Fallopian tubes create a fluid containing WBCs, copper ions, enzymes and prostaglandins that kills sperm
- The device is inserted by the doctor, and takes only a few minutes
- It is essential, however, that the woman is not pregnant and does not have any pelvic infection
The doctor will check whether the device is in place 4-6 weeks after insertion
"Authored By Dr.Niraj Mahajan"