GYNECOLOGICAL CANCER SURGERY
What is Gynecological Cancer Surgery?
- Gynecological cancer is a tumor affecting one or more of the Cervix, Uterus, Ovaries and other pelvic organs.
- The treatment procedures for the cancer depend on the malignancy, size, location and rate of proliferation of the tumorous growth
- The tumor is first diagnosed using different imaging techniques, like MRI, Ultrasound, etc.
- After this, a biopsy is conducted to detect the nature of the cancerous cells.
- Depending on this diagnosis, further treatment procedures are determined
Types of Surgery
Following are the types of surgeries performed
- Staging surgery - removal of tissue samples from different Pelvic organs to determine the proliferation of the cancer
- Debulking - Removal of maximum portion of the tumor so that less tumor is left to be treated by chemotherapy
- Total Hysterectomy - Removal of the uterus and the cervix
- Radical Hysterectomy - Removal of uterus, cervix and a part of the vagina. In some cases, the ovaries, Fallopian tube and/or nearby lymph nodes may also be surgically removed
- Salpingo-oophorectomy - Removal of one or both ovaries and Fallopian tubes
- Lymph node removal - Removal of all lymph nodes in the neighboring region of the pelvic organs
- The surgical procedure aims at removing as much of the tumor as possible.
- After this, appropriate methods such as chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy are used to remove the rest of the tumor
- In case of hysterectomy or other procedures involving total removal of the organ, further procedures are not required
In some cases, the following methods of surgery may be used-
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Robot assisted surgery
- Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy Treatment
- The patient is advised complete rest for sufficient period, accompanied with rehabilitation
- Cancer can be emotionally disturbing to anyone, and hence, it is important for the woman to have good emotional support after coming through the treatment
- Extreme physical activities should be avoided till full recovery
"Authored By Dr.Niraj Mahajan"