ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS
What are Oral contraceptive pills?
- Oral contraceptive pills are birth control pills taken by mouth.
- When used correctly, as per the instructions, these pills are proven to be effective in birth control.
- It is always better to consult your gynecologist before using any such pills.
How Are Oral Contraceptive Pills Effective?
- The hormonal contraceptive pills contain Oestrogen and Progestin hormones.
- These work by inhibiting the body's natural cycle of hormone generation, thereby drastically reducing the chances of pregnancy.
- The hormonal contraceptive stops the egg from ovulating. If there is no production of the egg cell, there is absolutely no chance of pregnancy
- These pills also make changes in cervical mucus, thereby making it difficult for the sperm to travel through the uterus
- Also, the lining of the uterus is modified; hence, even if the egg and sperm somehow fertilize, it is impossible for it to get implanted in the walls of the uterus
Hormonal contraceptive pills are 99.9% effective, with a very rare case of the sperm finding a way to fertilize and then get implanted in the uterus wall
"Authored By Dr.Niraj Mahajan"